Monday, February 15, 2010

The West African Pirogue













Yesterday I went fishing with the Dietrich's. We caught a few and enjoyed the scenery. It was nice to get out and into the water. We left around 8:00 AM and got in around noon. It cost 10,000 CFA per person. While I was out on the water I started to inquire about purchasing a small pirogue. My parents just moved to a home on the Puget Sound and there is no dock. A pirogue would be perfect to paddle out on! Turns out that I could get a small one for around $200.00 dollars, which would include a sweet paint job.

After the fishing ended today, I walked around and took pictures of the unique design that each boat has. I think they came out great. They are so colorful!

  • Wikipedia defines a pirogue is a: small, flat-bottomed boat of a design associated particularly with West African fisherman.

Intresting Pirogue facts:
  • Pirogues were used by Lewis and Clark on the Missouri River and westward from 1804-1806.
  • The word comes from the Spainish word "piragua".

No comments: