Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Places








As we gear up to move back home I feel compelled to explore Dakar a bit more. Gabbie and I have agreed that once a week, until we move, we will find a new place to explore in either Senegal or Dakar. This weekend it was the IFAN museum. On our way downtown we stopped at a new store that sells fruits, vegetables, spices, flowers, dried fruits, and yummy olives. The owner is super nice and speaks English. Snack ready, we headed to the museum which was pretty cool. On display were traditional masks, fabrics, and musical instruments. There were even rudimentary dioramas of African villages and ceremonies. On my out the door I picked up a book on Goree in English! Great find for sure. Famished from squinting at plaques in French, we headed to a cafe for some grilled paninis, sodas, and later espresso. On our way home we stopped at some stores that we had never been to before that sold local art. Gabbie spotted a store that sold mostly carved tall men (that's what I call them). We ended up buying a three footer. I wonder what next weekend will bring?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Those statues are awesome and huge!!!!! I can't wait to see you again!