Saturday, May 15, 2010

Home








A few weeks ago I was attacked my my guard/gardener and had to go home for safety and health reasons. I no longer felt safe in Senegal and had to leave to ensure no further damage would happen to me. This is my last official Senegal blog.

In reflection, I have mixed feelings about my journey to Senegal. I met some terrific people and also met some definite weirdos. I am glad to be back in the USA and feel a ton safer. People always said to me "these kinds of things happen in America". I disagree. There is a sense of security and calmness here. Perhaps also organization. I know I have rights here. God Bless America!

I do miss my students. I miss eating lunch with my elementary girls, playing banana grams with Selma and Anthea, StuCo and asking Tenimba to say please. I miss my one on one chats with Rhynardt and joking with Jay and Ben. I miss Fraser and his sense of humor. I miss Chiaki's voice because each day it was getting stronger. So, I miss my students.

I also miss my wife. I am so lucky to have her in my life. What a wonderful woman and friend. A true life partner.

I miss some adults too: Desvaux, Stacey, Yeager, Mary, the library staff, Becs, Crystal, J. Smith, Natalie, the Ducharmes, and Andrea. I hope we can keep in touch, if not, that's life. I was glad to know you and share some good times.

The healing process has begun. Thanks to everyone that had followed my blog.

6 comments:

vanweerelt said...

I will miss reading about your experiences in Dakar - thanks to you, I felt ok about moving here. The pictures you posted reassured me that there is a 'real' supermarket (although you can't always find what you need/want) and that you can travel around. Sorry to read about your final experiences in Dakar. Hope you're doing well and I wish you and Gabbie all the best!
Annebet

nirankar said...

Great Blog to read and know.
I am really going to tell my family and friends to join this blog
I can see the hard work from blog owner.
Indian Restaurant

reginag said...

There is no place like home of course.
glock dual action springs

Anonymous said...

As the Adidas slogan states,
Tiger Shoes Online Shop
nothing is impossible. Every brand has the chance of ranking to be the most recognized brand sneakers shoes. Furthermore, sneakers shoes can be categorized into three main subcategories.
< align="left">Belstaff Mens BagsThat is Athletic sneaker shoes, casual sneaker shoes and fitness sneakers. More specially, based on the variety of different sports, athletic sneakers consist of baseball sneakers, basketball sneakers, Hogan Shoes Online

jeremy said...

Wonderful experience. Not all are lucky enough to experience such.

house cleaning salt lake

Unknown said...

Animals are my favourite and if they are beautiful one then it is my necessity to watch them. Beautiful glimpse of wild life.
ad services