Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fabric World AKA H.L.M.






In Dakar there is a market where fabric and textile related goods are sold. I haven't been brave enough to go, language barriers and haggling gives me the fear. Rebecca, our house guest and spider biologist from Portland, speaks both Wolof and French. She has lived in Senegal before and travels here for work. Recently she was in Guinea finding a certain poisonous spider related to the Brown Recluse.

Rebecca guided us to the town of fabric. First, we took a car rapid (another new experience for me) which is the local way to commute. When we arrived we speed walked through venders, looking for a specific wax fabric. They aren't waxy and but wax is used in the process.

I love these designs. I could buy them all. Rebecca negotiated us a very good price. $5.00 (2500 CFA) for 6 meters (almost 6 yards). We bought two different patterns. Jackie, a colleague, sews skirts, pillow cases, etc. I don't know what we'll do with ours yet. I am thinking duvet cover or table cloth.

It was a taxing day; negotiating, speed walking, fumes, and buses can take it out of you. It was a good experience though.

Thanks Rebecca!

No comments: