Friday, February 6, 2009

R&R at Work?





For the last few days I have been on a field trip with my seventh graders in Sine Saloum. I had such a wonderful time. It was awesome spending time with our kids out in nature. We toured the mangroves, they ate oysters, observed birds, I taught some kids how to fish during free time, the list goes on and on. What was really cool was that I got to spend time with students that are a little distant in the classroom. One in particular said that I made her laugh so much that her stomach hurt. It reminded me that I love working with tweens. They are so funny and down to earth. I want to do a trip like this every year that I am at ISD, but next time focus more on team building. I am thinking next December would be perfect. Our kids need time out of the city, being kids, and getting to know their teachers.

I have a bunch of photos to share. The first segment is of us getting there which took a four hour car ride and forty minutes in a pirogue. On the road we hit a chicken and when I got to the scene, it was still alive. A man pulled the chicken from the grill and it flapped it's wing. I couldn't stand it so I picked it up and twirled it by the neck until it unlocked. The children were shrieking.

No comments: