Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Garden



About a month before we left for Thailand I began a garden behind the school. I wasn't very optimistic but decided to give it the old college try. I was fortunate because the boxes were already there. I just had to weed and mend the soil. I brought some some seeds back with me this summer (thanks mom!) and began them in trays in Gabbie's classroom. They germinated and in the beds they went. I have carrots, peas, lettuce, okra, kale, chard, broccoli, tomatoes, and cucumbers growing. So far I have harvested peas, carrots, a few cucumbers, and lettuce. I actually have enough lettuce to make a fresh salad for me and Gabbie everyday! Needless to say, it's nice to get my hands dirty. I find it very peaceful and from time to time, beautiful red birds land to feed on grass seeds nearby.

I have to give a big thanks to Yoshiko for the donkey manure and a ride to the seed store where I bought some eggplants seeds.

I also have a compost going and now have a place for my scraps. sometimes I even take lawn clippings from the school field. Yahooo!

2 comments:

Wintry said...

Cool!! Looking at your plants growing makes me jealous! It will be awhile before we can put anything in the ground, but saying that, daffodil and iris shoots are starting to come up and crocuses are already blooming!!

Linda said...

LOVE YOUR GARDEN!!! It looks so good, I am anxious to get a garden this year. I am glad you took seeds, wish I could send you more, but hey, you will be back home before they would get there and grow! ha