Wednesday, August 13, 2008

International School in Dakar (ISD)






It's 7:00 PM and I am already exhausted. The heat and humidity really takes it out of me. Luckily there is an opened bottle of French wine next to me and I can relax for a bit. Today's feature is ISD, where Gabbie and I work. It's a fine school with high expectations, which I appreciate. I look forward to meeting my students and working with the fine colleagues I have already met. The campus, as you can see, it very nice. I am feeling a bit frustrated because I am living in two worlds: ISD/structured get'r done and do it better than anyone has done it before vs. Dakar/whenever I get to it. I signed up for it so I can't complain too much. It's not so bad. I just can't find a dryer in a country of 12.5 million people. Ha! Things will come around. Enjoy the campus pic.s

8 comments:

Wintry said...

The school looks great!! If it's a clothes dryer you are looking for, they don't exist on the African continent. You've got to let the sun do it. If it's a hair dryer, I can send you one if I can fit it into this flat envelope I've got!!

We miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

Well, when _I_ was a kid and living in an African country and going to school, not only did we have to walk uphill through five termite mounds but we also had to do our laundry in a bucket outside. Unless you were from Palo Alto and decided to hire your laundry out, which basically meant letting a poor person do your laundry in a bucket outside.

I agree with Wintry - a clothes dryer in Africa is about as likely as G.W.'s chances of making the Top 50 U.S. Presidents of All Time list.

Heather Olson said...

Well! I don't want Mango Fly larva in my skin. Found a dryer and a maid, suckas!

Jen said...

When does school start? Is it air conditioned? Don't complain about the heat too much, we are in the 100's in Portland for a few days...
When are we going to do our conference calls??

Jen said...

By the way, Amelia set Rich's phone to check the weather in Dakar so we always know...

Heather Olson said...

I just need to know your Skype name. Mine is heatolson. It's best if I call you 4:00 PM my time which is 8:00 AM your time. That's so cute that Amelia has set the temp. Yes! My classroom is air conditioned, thank Zeus! Let's skype it up! Email to set up a time. I still don't have internet or a phone at home and have to go to the computer lab, but no problem!

fixyello said...

go jags! ha!

Unknown said...

Veuillez me donner un bon numéro je n'arrive pas à vous joindre