Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oregon Melancholy






I have been looking at my photos from home and feeling melancholy. I know that since I moved here I complain about missing home. The truth is, I really do miss it. Everyday. Right now there is a sand storm here and it's hard to breathe. The landscape is yellow and dry. Work is also taking a toll. Sometimes I feel that I have taken on way too much. I do more because it's hard for me to see that something that can be improved and not do something about it. I miss Whitford (the school I worked at last year); it was organized, there were clear guidelines, and I felt support from my peers and administration. It was so much easier! I feel like this place is not a good fit for me and it makes me sad. I know Gabbie is not happy as well. At the end of it all I am optimistic that we will take away something great from all of this. Just right now it kinda feels like Hades.

The pictures are of the things I miss most: doing yard work around my house, river rafting and fishing with my friends, going camping in our van, the cabin, and going to the river with my wife.

4 comments:

Tod Spedding said...

Your comments prompted a long chat for Randi & I -- why we chose to come here, what we were/are looking for, creating/finding meaning, our sense of/need for home, etc. I'd enjoy sitting around with the newbies musing on these ideas some evening.

Heather Olson said...

I would enjoy that as well. Maybe I should organize something and have it here at my house? I'll talk to Gabs and see what she thinks.

gloriahendel said...

Oregon misses you girls too. The picture of friends in the yard, and vanna. We love and miss you both. It's ok to miss home. Just look at all the bills you are paying off and enjoy your time away.

Jen said...

We miss you too. It's a veritable shit storm here right now.